Thursday, August 12, 2010

Inch by Inch- Math, Music, and Motivation Pt. 2

This is part two of this math, music, and motivation series.

So I volunteered at Kid's University this afternoon with Mykia Clayton as we explored possibilities for the OKAY Community to develop sustainable service projects. Among other things, I was able to work with a sixth grader and taught him a magic math trick with the 11 times tables. He was pretty quick with it, but still struggled and his mom showed up while we were still working. She said "I can wait," noticing his excitement and focus as he approached mastery of the trick. He finally got it right as she was saying "I'll wait in the car..." He lit up. I can't wait to see him challenge me next time.

Isn't it amazing how little things can make a difference. Well, I'm working on doing more personal and reflective writing, which I'll provide a link to on a different blog (The Beautiful Struggle, I think) . I want to keep this blog focused on projects, results, and connections, rather than anecdotes ( which I have a ton of by the way!)

This is a song I forgot about and oh, before I forget, if you want to learn the math trick, please do email us as okaycommunity@gmail.com and we'll teach you.

Inch by Inch yall. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tupac: Changes. Reflect and enjoy. Enjoy and reflect.

Let's make it happen,

--Greg McCoy
Founding Community Member


No comments: